Learning and Support
For students who require additional learning support, St John’s College Preston operates a Learning Strategies Centre. The main aim of the Learning Strategies Centre is to promote positive learning outcomes for all students across all learning areas, with a specific focus on literacy and numeracy.
Our key learning and support goals include:
- Working with individual students and teams to improve academic achievement.
- Identifying specific learning and assessment strategies for students with additional educational needs.
- Assisting with planning, preparation and delivery of effective learning and teaching programs to improve learning outcomes.
- Providing intervention at whole school, small group and individual student level for underachieving students, including students with learning disabilities.
- Collaboratively plan and support teachers in assessing and monitoring the progress of underachieving students .
- Where possible provide expertise, support and professional development at whole school, small group and individual teacher levels to support improved student achievement.
- Providing support and advice on the teaching of students with learning disabilities.
- Working collaboratively with other specialists (e.g. guidance officers, speech language pathologists) to coordinate services which improve students’ learning.
- Developing collaborative and productive partnerships with school staff and members of the wider school community in order to improve student educational outcomes.