Preparing for Prep
At St John’s College (SJC) we know that children blossom at different rates educationally, socially and emotionally. Our Prep classroom at SJC is a warm and nurturing environment where our youngest students develop confidence in their own learning and build relationships with others. School quickly becomes a very exciting place to be!
Our Prep program provides a pathway for each child to learn, discover and grow at a pace which best suits their particular needs. The Prep teaching and learning program is designed to ensure each child’s engagement with school by developing their creativity, cognitive and social skills, emotional wellbeing, higher-order thinking skills and a sense of belonging. All learning is understood developmentally, and behaviours understood as the child’s need to communicate what they are feeling.
Indoor and outdoor play environments provide opportunities for the development of curious, confident and competent learners. Our teaching staff draw on evidence-based teaching strategies and research so that learning is accessible and meaningful for every child.
Student Care and Wellbeing
SJC is a school where knowing every student and family is of central importance. Understanding the needs of each child and being able to offer small classes greatly enhances the quality of interactions, and therefore the quality of learning.
As well as the academic curriculum, we offer a broad range of options to develop and strengthen children’s skills and talents via the co-curricular and extra-curricular programs. As a community-oriented school, parents and teachers work in partnership to nurture and develop our students to be the best they can be and to achieve well in all areas of their social, physical and intellectual growth.
Prep Program Details
- Days – Prep students commence four days a week for the first 4-5 weeks of school. During the transition phase they attend a formal assessment session with their teacher. From mid Term 1 students commence full time. Students commence school at 8.30 and finish at 3.10pm.
- Curriculum – We deliver the Victorian Curriculum. Students are supported by their teacher and a learning support officer with experience in early childhood education.
- Playtime – Prep students have an additional playtime in the middle of the day. Playtime is guided and incorporates sensory and fundamental motor skill development activities.
- Specialists – Prep students participate in Art, Music, Orthodoxy, Greek and PE class. The learning support officer attends these lessons to support the children.
- Assessment – Prep students participate in the Prep assessment program (Insight On Line Assessment) at the commencement of Term 1.
- Student Support Group Meetings & Individual Learning Plans – Parents/guardians of students with additional learning needs participate in termly student support group meetings. An individual learning plan is developed (by the Prep teacher and the Learning Enhancement Coordinator).
- Uniform – Prep students wear the St John’s College uniform and PE uniform.
- Fees – Are as per our College Annual Fee Schedule.
- Transition – Parents are asked to provide the kindergarten transition plan. All prospective Prep families and students are encouraged to participate in our Prep Transition program in Term 4 each year.
Places in Prep are limited; for more information about enrolling your child into Prep contact our Enrolment Officer via email@example.com